- MSc (Freshwater Ecology). University of Otago, 2007
- BSc (Zoology). University of Otago, 2004
Role at Cawthron
Robin is a freshwater ecologist who is involved in a range of projects with a focus on macroinvertebrate biomonitoring and freshwater fisheries management.
His other research interests include land-use impacts on aquatic ecology and trout migration patterns.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Freshwater and marine invertebrate taxonomy
- Freshwater ecological impact assessment and monitoring
- Freshwater macroinvertebrate ecology
- Salmonid ecology
- Freshwater fisheries
- New Zealand Freshwater Sciences Society
- Holmes R 2016. Longfin tuna and brown trout habitat quality indices for interpreting habitat quality score data. Prepared for Environment Southland. 7 pages plus appendices.
- Holmes R, Hayes JW, Jiang W, Quarterman A and Davey LN 2014. Emigration and mortality of juvenile brown trout in a New Zealand headwater tributary. Ecology of Freshwater Fish. Volume 23, Issue 4, 631–643.
- Holmes R, Goodwin E and Hayes JW 2013. Development of a GIS-based index to assess riparian habitat quality in a dairy best practice catchment. Cawthron Report 2350. Prepared for DairyNZ .
- Allen C, Holmes R and Shearer KA 2013. The impact of the Maitai Dam on river health relative to other catchment pressures: A review. Cawthron Report 2371. Prepared for Nelson City Council.
- Young RG, Allen C, Shearer KA, Doehring KAM, Berkett N, Holmes R and Hay J 2013. Ruataniwha water storage scheme - Aquatic ecology assessment of effects. Prepared for Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company Limited. Cawthron Report 2307. 195 pages plus appendices.
- Holmes R and Kelly D 2012. Options for improving water quality in the Maitai Reservoir and River. Cawthron Report 2234. Prepared for Nelson City Council. 21 pages plus appendices.
- Holmes R, Hayes JW and Williams M 2012. Broad-scale trout habitat mapping in a best practice dairy catchment. Cawthron Report 2230. Prepared for the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
- Holmes R and Hayes JW 2011. Broad-scale trout habitat mapping for streams (using aerial photography and GIS). Cawthron Report 1979. Funded by the Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment: Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Aquatic Ecosystems program (C01X1002).
- Olsen D, Maxwell I, Holmes R, Hay J, Allen C, Doehring KAM, Hayes JW and Young RG 2011. Assessment of the Amuri hydro project on the Waiau River, North Canterbury. Cawthron Report 2011. Prepared for Meridian Energy Ltd. 129 pages plus appendices.
- Holmes R 2009. Monitoring of benthic algae, heterotrophic growths and macroinvertebrates in Burton ale creek, Collingwood, March 2009. Cawthron Report 1598. Prepared for MWH NZ Ltd. 7 pages.
- Holmes R 2009. Maitai river south branch consent compliance (2008-2009). Cawthron Report 1659. Prepared for Nelson City Council. 31 pages.
- Holmes R 2009. Effect of cattle grazing on water quality in the Molesworth Station. Cawthron Report 1636. Prepared for Department of Conservation. 43 pages.
- Holmes R and Hayes JW 2008. Effects of dams on trout fisheries in New Zealand with reference to the Mokihinui hydropower scheme. Cawthron Report 1487. Prepared for Meridian Energy Ltd. 30 pages.